Over the weekend, I was invited to a social gathering and asked to bring a dessert. It is nearly Halloween, the air is a bit cooler, and I was thinking that something that embraced the season would be appropriate (and hopefully, delicious).
In my search for desserts involving pumpkin (I didn’t want to just make a pumpkin pie), I found omgchocolatedesserts.com
Vera, who runs the site, is a fantastic storyteller and her story of what she calls Pumpkin Lasagna caught my attention.
After making it and serving it, I’ve decided to call it Pumpkin Pie Lasagna. I was told at the party that if Fall had a flavor, it would be THIS dessert.
When I took my first bite, I was instantly transported to a kitchen table in a small home late on a Thursday afternoon. My grandmother’s house. Thanksgiving day. The first taste of her amazing pumpkin pie.
I made only slight modifications to the recipe, which I’ll indicate below. If you’re looking for a dessert for a Halloween party or even a new twist for Thanksgiving, this IS it!
- 1 cup flour (I used two cups, b/c I made this in a 9×13 pan)
- ½ cup butter-softened (again, I used one cup, making it for a larger size crust)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts (or pecans)-chopped (I used pecans)
- 8 oz. cream cheese- softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping
- SG: I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2½ cups milk
- 3 small pkgs. vanilla instant pudding mix
- 15 oz Pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- SG: I also added some allspice (a dash or two) and some nutmeg — I feel this gives it more of that “pumpkin pie” flavor
- 1 cups whipped topping
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts (or pecans)-chopped
- Preheat the oven at 350 F and spray 8×8 inch baking dish. (NOTES : I made Pumpkin Lasagna with these ingredients in 8×8 inch baking dish, but some people have commented that they have a problem to fit it, so I suggest you to avoid this potential problem using a 9×9 inch baking dish)
- Mix flour, butter and ½ cup walnuts, press into a sprayed baking dish and bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until it’s light and fluffy, add 1 cup whipped topping and spread over cooled crust. Set in the fridge while making pumpkin mixture.
- Mix milk and vanilla instant pudding mix, add pumpkin puree and cinnamon and mix until it’s smooth. Spread over top of cheesecake layer.
- Spread remaining 1 cup of whipped topping and sprinkle chopped walnuts and set in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
For more great recipes, go to omgchocolatedesserts.com
For more on living the gentleman’s lifestyle, follow @SterlingGent