If you’re a true gentleman (or aspire to be so), you want to dress and act in a way that exudes confidence. And of course, you want ladies to notice you.
We asked the question: What Do Women Notice About Men? And @ThePreppyBelle was kind enough to give us some insight.
Gentlemen, when a lady talks, you listen! So, here goes. Some advice from a woman on what you can do to get noticed.
Here are her 5 tips:
1) BE CRISP! I can’t say it enough. A good pair of ironed and creased khakis is very impressive to a woman. Always iron your clothes properly (that’s right, even a t-shirt).
SG Says: Sure, you’re probably NOT wearing a t-shirt and trying to impress a woman, but the point is well-taken. GET AN IRON! And learn to use it. Women are impressed by details.
2) Buttons. When you’re at a formal gathering and you’re wearing a suit here are the rules: when you stand up, you button your suit. When you sit down, you unbutton it. I learned that back in 5th grade at my cotillion class. When I go to more formal occasions, I can always pick out a man who knows what he is doing.
SG Says: The basics! Learn how to button your suit! On a two-button suit, you only button the TOP button. Get it right. Women are watching.
3. Pants. Make sure your pants are long enough (to the top of the foot). And if they aren’t, make sure your socks match what you’re wearing (and each other!) if they are visible.
SG Says: Basics and details, guys. Socks ARE an important detail!
4. Sunglasses. I find a man wearing croakies with sunglasses attractive. For both men and women, I think it’s essential to have two pairs of good sunglasses; one brown pair and one black pair. Try to wear the brown ones when you are wearing clothes in that color scheme and black when you’re wearing black.
SG Says: Basic stuff, sound advice. And if you’re in the market for sunglasses, check this out!
5. Cologne. Cologne adds a statement what you’re wearing. Do not let your scent wear you, you should wear it. Simply meaning, don’t bathe in it. Just squirt the air and walk through the mist. Be considerate to the others around you (especially if you’re traveling with them). Some of my favorite scents on men are: -Nautica – Black by Kenneth Cole – Polo by Ralph Lauren – #2 Big Pony Collection by Ralph Lauren
SG Says: More on men’s fragrance here.
Thanks to @ThePreppyBelle for her words of wisdom.
For more advice on men’s style and fashion, follow me @TheSterlingGent